To create a diverse student community of academically and socially skilled individuals by encouraging independence, respect and visionary thinking.
We are an AVID School! AVID’s mission is to close the opportunity gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
Program Description: The César E. Chávez Elementary School community believes a strong connection between parents, students and the school is the best way to promote student success. César E. Chávez Elementary School values parent involvement and collaboration. Our academic program focuses on literacy through systematic instruction. Our students have access to technology throughout their school day to enhance learning. César E. Chávez Elementary School is a respectful, caring community with high expectations. We honor individual successes and believe everyone can learn in an encouraging environment.
- Schoolwide AVID Elementary School: AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is a teaching and learning framework designed to help students develop the skills they need to be successful in college.
- Highly qualified staff engaged in ongoing professional development in literacy, mathematics and technology
- Positive school climate that supports the varied needs of all students
- 21st century technology integrated across curricular areas and grade levels K–5; 1:1 iPads for all students; SMART Boards in every classroom
- Involved community of families; bilingual (Spanish/English) communications: newsletters, website, monthly Chávez parent group meetings, other school communications; bilingual-bicultural school secretary and office assistant
- Family activities including Math Night, Literacy Night, Chávez Carnival and parent classes
- A variety of enrichment opportunities for students including SMART reading, Oregon Battle of the Books, Talent Show, BEST after-school program, CHAMPS mentoring program, student leadership, Green Team, Artist in Residence, School Garden Project, and Social-Emotional Learning Curriculum
- Family supports including Family Resource Coordinator, School Social Worker, Clothes Closet, Food Pantry, Family Care Team, School Wraparound Services Team, and many community partnerships to help meet basic needs of our families