For more information regarding TAG at Chávez Elementary please contact Alice Williamson, TAG Coordinator @ 541-790-5300
The Eugene School District is dedicated to provision of services and advocacy for gifted students in our schools based on these principles:
- Relevant, appropriate instruction and outcomes for gifted learners
- Shared responsibility and involvement of educators, parents, and community for the academic and affective outcomes and growth of gifted learners
- A climate of excellence and rigorous curricula for every student
- Differentiation in curricula, instruction, and assessment supporting tiered programming and a continuum of services for every gifted learner
- High quality standards for educators and counselors who work with gifted learners
- Identification and gifted programming in all populations of race, culture, gender, and income level
Gifted and talented students are those whose abilities, talents, and potential for accomplishment are so exceptional or developmentally advanced that they require special services to meet their educational needs. Gifted and talented students are capable of high performance, exceptional production, or exceptional learning behavior by virtue of any or a combination of these areas:
- General or specific intellectual ability
- Specific academic aptitude in reading
- Specific academic aptitude in math
- Potential to Perform
In compliance with the Oregon TAG Mandate for gifted education, the Eugene School District focuses services on meeting the student’s instructional level and rate of learning every day in the classroom across the curriculum. Classroom teachers assess a student’s level and rate in all subject areas and modify the instruction to provide appropriate content challenge and instructional pacing.
The building principal and/or school TAG Coordinator is responsible to oversee the identification process, arrange staff development and parent meetings, and act as an on-site resource for gifted education in the school. From the District Office, the TAG TOSA (Teacher On Special Assignment) assists in identification procedures, alternative program options, staff development, parent meetings and instructional planning to meet students’ needs.
The Eugene School District is committed to an educational program that recognizes the unique value, needs and talents of the individual student. Curriculum and instruction designed to meet the level and rate of learning of talented and gifted students is an integral part of this commitment. It is the responsibility of school staff to provide classroom or school programs designed to promote educational opportunity for talented and gifted students commensurate with their ability.
Link to 4j School District TAG webpage: http://www.4j.lane.edu/instruction/tag/